January 24, 2012
Orange, Pineapple and Banana Muffins
I originally found this recipe on Cafe Sucre Farine and had every intention of following it to the letter ... up until I looked in my fridge and realized that I was missing some key ingredients. But never fear, I can substitute like a champ!
Glazed Pineapple, Orange & Banana Muffins
1 stick butter, softened
½ cup sugar
1 large egg
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup greek yogurt, plain
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 medium ripe banana, diced
½ cup chunk canned pineapple, drained and diced (reserve juice)
1 naval orange, segmented
For glaze and topping
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon of reserved pineapple juice
⅓ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon orange zest
Directions for muffins:
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. In a small bowl, toss together pineapple, orange and banana like a fruit salad.
3. Using either an electric mixer or separate bowl, whip together softened butter and sugar. Add the egg, continuing to mix, and lastly beat in the greek yogurt and vanilla.
4. In a third bowl (yes, three!), sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt).
5. Now bring it all together: Slowly add the wet batter to the dry ingredients, one spoonful at a time. Once combined, then gently fold in the fruits.
6. Divide mixture evenly into a mini-muffin pan, either nonstick or using muffin cups. This should make approximately 24 mini muffins.
7. Place muffins in oven. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Allow muffins to cool before applying glaze.
8. Combine powdered sugar and pineapple juice until smooth for the glaze, and then drizzle it atop the cooled muffins. Combine sugar, flour orange zest and cinnamon and sprinkle atop the glaze before it sets.