I tossed this together from the ingredient in my fridge. I had this big plan to make fresh pesto to toss with peas and fettucine tonight, but....I was a couple days late on the basil. It had gone bad. So what else was in there? Cauliflower that needed to be cooked up ASAP.
I had some cream cheese leftover from the Banana Cake earlier this week, so I used that as the base to my gratin, I added a little spice, red pepper (sale!) and breadcrumbs to turn it all casserole-like. Pop it in the over and delicious! Here is how it goes.
Cauliflower + Sweet Pepper Casserole
1 head of cauliflower, rinsed and sliced
1 red pepper, large diced
1 cup of cream cheese
1/2 cup of vegetable broth
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp of Joe's Stuff (cajun seasoning)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup of shredded parmesan
- Pre-heat the oven to 375.
- First steam your cauliflower. While the cauliflower is steaming until tender, toss your diced red peppers into a pan with some oil to soften and brown around the edges. Toss together the cauliflower and peppers into a medium-sized baking dish.
- Next prepare the sauce: In a small saucepan on low heat, combine cream cheese, broth, and seasonings. Stir until combined and beginning to bubble at the edges.
- Pour the cheese cause over the vegetables in the pan, gently turning them with a spatula to coat. Once combined, dust the top of the casserole with a combination of bread crumbs and shredded Parmesan.
- Place in the oven and bake until the top is golden and melted.